14 Best Face Washes for Oily Skin: A Beginner's Guide to Oil Control
Shiny is usually a wonderful thing. Till, of course, it's on your face. The secret to get rid of it lies in the best face washes for oily skin, the most basic and primary step to clear, matte skin. Other than erasing shine and preventing blemishes by regulating sebum secretion, the right face washes will also enhance the efficacy of all the other oil-control arsenal you're using, which may be primers, powder compacts and mattifying sunscreens. All to give you a beautiful, shine-free complexion through the day, no matter how hot it gets. Ahead, the 14 best face washes for oily skin in India for every budget and need (our comprehensive list includes face washes of all types for everyone, men and women–(find natural face wash for oily skin, face wash for men's oily skin, brightening face wash for oily skin and more. Pick your favourite). Have a good look and start ordering–you'll never underestimate the power of a good cleanser again.
14 Best Face Washes for Oily Skin in India
1. Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Face Wash
The Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Face Wash is one of the best face washes for oily skin in India for anyone with active acne, since it contains 2% salicylic acid which targets existing blemishes and prevents new ones. Use the lathering formula to remove oil, dirt and makeup without over-drying your skin or causing irritation. Comes in a clear case.
- Contains salicylic acid to kill acne
- Doesn't deplete your skin of moisture
- Clear case lets you know how much is left
- Product may be strong for those with very sensitive skin
Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Face Wash, 175ml
2. The Body Shop Face Wash Seaweed
Refreshing and mildly made, the Body Shop Face Wash Seaweed contains mineral-rich seaweed sourced from Roaring Water Bay, Ireland and helps you rebalance moisture levels with its oil-free formula. Pop open the flip-top and cleanse twice a day, morning and evening, for a shine-free complexion. Keeps your skin matte for about 5 hours.
- Contains mineral-rich seaweed sourced from Roaring Water Bay, Ireland
- Leaves your skin shine-free
- It's pricey, but as always, worth it
The Body Shop Face Wash Seaweed, 125 ml
3. Cetaphil Oily Skin Cleanser
The dermatologically-tested Cetaphil Oily Skin Cleanser rids your face of dirt, oils and makeup with a gentle mechanism. What's better is that it does the job without stripping your skin of moisture + maintaining its natural pH balance so your complexion looks and stays healthy. But while it's non-comedogenic, it won't help get rid of any active acne.
- Super gentle mechanism
- Ideal for sensitive skin
- It doesn't actively kill blemishes, if you have any
Cetaphil Oily Skin Cleanser, 125ml
4. Avène Cleanance Cleansing Gel
The Avène Cleanance Gel is a dermatologist-recommended face wash that's, hands down, amongst the best for oily skin. It may cost you a packet but you won't regret the investment, especially if you wish to prevent blemishes. The formula mattifies your skin while maintaining a healthy balance of moisture and pH levels. Also, you'll know when it's getting over with its clear casing.
- Gentle cleansing mechanism
- Paraben-free formula
- Great for mildly blemished skin
- Clear case
- The dispenser cap isn't ideal for travel, but it's not so much of a hinderance as to dent our opinion of the product
Avène Cleanance Cleansing Gel (200 ml)
5. Bioderma Sebium Gel Moussant
Here's another face wash for oily skin that dermatologists popularly recommend – the Bioderma Sebium Gel Moussant. A blessing for sensitive skin, this face wash is paraben-free, fragrance-free, colour-free and non-drying. It cleanses your face of oil and makeup while fighting acne actively, so we're pronouncing it one of the best face washes for oily skin in India.
- Paraben-free, fragrance-free
- Actively fights acne and blemishes
- Maintains natural moisture levels
- Engineered for sensitive, acne-prone skin
- Not the cheapest, but 100% worth the spend
Bioderma Sebium Gel Moussant,100ml
6. Biotique Bio Pineapple Oil Control Foaming Face Cleanser Normal to Oily Skin
Pineapples are wonderful (except on pizza), especially as skincare ingredients, as they contain a magic enzyme called bromelain that has therapeutic properties. The Bio Pineapple Oil Control Foaming Face Cleanser combines the wondrous ingredient with neem leaves, euphorbia plant and clove oil to give you a formula that will unclog every pore.
- Herbal ayurvedic recipe
- Anti-inflammation cleanser
- Affordable price point
- Close to none
Biotique Bio Pineapple Oil Control Foaming Face Cleanser Normal to Oily Skin (120 ml)
7. Himalaya Herbals Oil Clear Lemon Foaming Face Wash
The Himalaya Herbals Oil Clear Lemon Foaming Face Wash is one of the best face washes for oily skin made of a blend of lemon (an astringent and cooling agent) and honey (which deep cleanses your skin to get rid of dirt and oils). It also helps fade spots, diminishes blackheads and prevents age spots. Foam is ideal for very sensitive skin, as its least irritating.
- Formulated with natural ingredients
- Helps fade spots and diminish blemishes
- Uses a foaming mechanism to cleanse your skin
- Some skin types may find it overdrying
Himalaya Herbals Oil Clear Lemon Foaming Face Wash, 150ml
8. Patanjali Saundarya Face Wash
Here's a great buy if you're on a budget -- one that rings up under a hundred. Yup, you read that right. The Patanjali Saundarya Face Wash is one of the best budget face washes that combines orange peel, tulsi, neem and aloe vera to not just cleanse your skin of dirt and oil, but also clear any blemishes you may have with its anti-inflammatory formula.
- Contains a herbal blend
- Fights active acne
- Aggressive price point
- Dries your skin
Patanjali Saundarya Face Wash, 60gm
9. Aroma Magic Neem And Tea Tree Face Wash
Both neem and tea tree are ingredients that, with their anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, actively help fight acne and blemishes. This ayurvedic face wash from Aroma Magic combines the two ingredients to cleanse oily complexions of dirt, grime and makeup. Also contains rose extracts for additional nourishment: no one's complaining.
- Paraben, fragrance and colour free
- Oil-balancing cleanser
- Acne-fighting formula
Aroma Magic Neem And Tea Tree Face Wash, 100ml
10. Happily Unmarried Face Wash
The Happily Unmarried Face Wash is a blend of French Green Clay (that cleans your face of oil), White Willow Bark Extract (an astringent that helps fight acne) and hints of Green Apple and Tea Tree. It's one of the best face washes for oily skin in India that's also SLS and paraben-free, making it ideal for sensitive skin types. The bold packaging doesn't hurt.
- Fights acne
- Some users find it over-drying
Happily Unmarried Face Wash Oily Skin, 100g
11. Lotus Herbals Tea Tree and Cinnamon Anti-Acne Oil Control Face Wash
The Lotus Herbals Tea Tree and Cinnamon Anti-Acne Oil Control Face Wash regulates sebum secretion effectively and prevents blemishes with a powerful combo of tea tree + cinnamon extracts. Meanwhile, oak bark acts as an astringent for a matte finish. One of the best face washes for oily skin in India that's also reasonably priced.
- Prevents acne
- Controls oil
- It's grainy, so not meant for sensitive skin with active acne
Lotus Herbals Teatreewash Tea Tree and Cinnamon Anti-Acne Oil Control Face Wash, 120g
12. Mamaearth Charcoal Natural Face Wash for Oil Control and Pollution Defence
The Mamaearth Charcoal Natural Face Wash contains activated charcoal, a detoxifying ingredient that sucks out oil, dirt and impurities without overdrying your skin. Additionally, tea tree extracts soothe your skin and prevent blemishes. The extremely gentle formula is free from Sulfates, SLS, Mineral Oil, Parabens, Artificial Preservatives,Synthetic Perfumes & Colours.
- Free from harmful chemicals like parabens, fragrance
- Contains tea tree extracts for blemish control
- Some users don't like its thin consistency
Mamaearth Charcoal Natural Face Wash for oil control and pollution defence 100 ml - For Oily Skin - SLS & Paraben Free
13. Clean & Clear Foaming Face Wash
The combination of myristic + lauric acid in the Clean & Clear Foaming Face Wash helps get rid of excess oils while soothing and preventing acne and blemishes. Plus, the travel-friendly face wash will easily fit in your makeup pouches without taking away room for other things. You'll also know when it's time to restock, as this face wash comes in a clear plastic case.
- Gets rid of excess oil
- Fights blemishes
- Aggressive price point
- Clear case
- Contains parabens
Clean & Clear Foaming Face Wash, 150ml (Pack of 2)
14. Kama Ayurveda Anti Acne Cleansing Foam
The Kama Ayurveda Anti Acne Cleansing Foam is one of the best face washes for oily / sensitive skin in India that cleanses with a gentle, foaming mechanism, and it comes from a homegrown brand. With neem, tulsi and tea tree extracts, it rids pores of dirt and grime through and through while preventing breakouts, while calendula flower and aloe vera extracts cool and soothe.
- Cooling formula
- Fights acne
- Foaming formula
- You'll have to shell out slightly extra
Kama Ayurveda Anti Acne Cleansing Foam, 50ml
A Quick Guide to the Best Face Wash for Oily Skin: How to Choose the Right Face Wash
Have you ever cleansed your face, only to find that it only gets oilier as the day passes? If you have oily skin, chances are that you experience this regularly: a clear indicator that you need to change your face wash. Here's what to look for in your next investment:
- Avoid over-drying formulas. While they may give you a matte complexion for an hour or two, over the course of the day, they'll only make your face more oily. This is because your oil glands are overcompensating on being stripped of moisture entirely.
- With reference to the point above, some skin types may find salicylic acid very drying, especially if they're using other blemish-targetting treatment. So if you're using formulas with salicylic acid, avoid using other drying products on your face.
- If you're have oily skin and only have mild acne, look for formulas that target blemishes while maintaining the pH balance and natural moisture levels of your skin-- it's always good to keep your skin hydrated
- Once you're done cleansing in the morning, don't forget to follow up with the right sunscreen for your skin type. This will help control oil while protecting your skin from youth-destroying UV rays
5 Benefits of Using A Face Wash for Oily Skin
- Removing excess oils
- Keeping shine away
- Keeping grease at bay
- Preventing and reducing acne and blemishes
- Creating a matte base for makeup application
How To Prevent Pimples: Tips You Might Need
#1 Wash Your Face Daily
One of the primary ways to keep pimples at bay is to cleanse your skin daily. Wash your face twice, everyday, without a skip. This will not only get rid of all the dirt and impurities from your face, but also strip off excess oil from your pores and make your skin healthy. Make it a habit to wash your face with a face wash every morning and before sleeping everyday.
#2 CTM regularly
It doesn't matter what your skin type is, if you don't follow a strict CTM routine everyday at least once, you're bound to have a breakout. Get in a habit to cleanse, tone and moisturise your skin on a daily basis, with products that match your skin type. It will prevent pimples and make your skin healthy and nourished too.
#3 Don't Touch Your Face Frequently
If you already have pimples and you keep on touching your face again and again, chances are that you'll end up having more pimples than usual. The dirt and bacteria get transferred all over your face and promote more pimples. Avoid fidgeting with your face if you have a breakout.
#4 Do Some Spot Treatment
You can shrink your pimples by doing some spot treatments on them. Pick a product that is rich in benzoyl peroxide and apply it on your pimples. This will reduce inflammation, irritation and kill all the bacteria on your pimples. You can even use some tea tree or neem oil, both work equally well.&
#5 Avoid Fried Food
Junk, oily and fried food is a big no no if you are prone to acne and pimples. Oily food will not only hamper your health, but also make your skin unhealthy and acne prone. Stick to a healthier and more clean diet instead.
That was the 14 best face washes for oily skin in India. Do you have a favourite (or least favourite) face wash? We'd love to hear from you, so give us a shoutout on our Twitter handle @HotDeals360. And stay tuned for more recs.
Best Face Washes for Oily Skin in India
|Product||Price in India|
|Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Face Wash, 175ml||₹ 608|
|The Body Shop Face Wash Seaweed, 125 ml||₹ 756|
|Cetaphil Oily Skin Cleanser, 125ml||₹ 447|
|Avène Cleanance Cleansing Gel (200 ml)||₹ 1,159|
|Bioderma Sebium Gel Moussant,100ml||₹ 756|
|Biotique Bio Pineapple Oil Control Foaming Face Cleanser Normal to Oily Skin (120 ml)||₹ 149|
|Himalaya Oil Clear Lemon Foaming Face Wash||₹ 136|
|Patanjali Saundarya Face Wash||₹ 150|
|Aroma Magic Neem And Tea Tree Face Wash, 100ml||₹ 153|
|Happily Unmarried Face Wash Oily Skin, 100g||₹ 250|
Viveka is known to her friends as a movie junkie who is also a creative fashion enthusiast in red lipstick. She's passionate about writing! Be it fashion, beauty or movies she is pro. In her free time, she loves to play badminton, cook and binge watch movies. She's also a great observer who has a quirky take on various things, well only close ones know this. Nothing stops her from personifying the creative game.