How To Wax At Home Like A Pro: Dos And Don'ts Of Waxing
Body hair is a furry truth of life and to get rid of this you may opt for various hair removal methods depending on your suitability. In our below story, we shall be talking about "Waxing", its pros and cons; pre-wax and post-wax routine, in short almosts about everything about waxing at home. Waxing is a popular hair removal method that is opted by many of us who wish to have smooth and hair-free skin. Although the process may seem to be simple and easy we're here to discuss everything about waxing so you can proceed to wax at home with utmost aplomb.
Waxing at home can prove to be a money-saver no matter if you're using homemade wax or purchasing the best wax for hair removal from top brands. Knowing how to wax at home by your own self works best as you can do as per your convenience without depending on anyone. Keep scrolling to understand more about waxing and how to wax at home process.
DIY Homemade Wax: How To Make Wax At Home
- A cooking utensil
- 1 cup (250ml) granulated sugar/brown sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) honey
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water (optional)
Step-By-Step Method To Prepare Wax At Home
- Add sugar to the cooking utensil and then add lemon juice and honey to it.
- Cook the formula on medium-high heat by giving an occasional swirl to the cooking utensil until the sugar starts to caramelize.
- Then slowly add lemon juice and honey and stir using a wooden spoon.
- You can increase the flame while you continuously stir and wait until it reaches the boiling point.
- Then lower the flame and stir until the mixture turns golden brown and reaches the consistency of pancake batter.
- You can opt to add water if you find the mixture too thick.
- Now pour the mixture into a bowl and let it cool for about 30-45 minutes.
- And tada, the homemade wax is ready to use.
Pre-Waxing Skincare Tips
Its important to prep up your skin before hand to get smoother and cleaner results. Giving a thought to this, we bring you some best pre-waxing skincare tips you can incorporate before getting your skin waxed.
- Take a closer look at the length of the hair so that you can achieve cleaner and smoother waxing results.
- Do not forget to use sanitised tools and this will prevent your skin from infections and rashes.
- Do not exfoliate just before your waxing procedure as this can make your skin sensitive which can lead to sunburns, tan and rashes.
- Bare skin is always good to achieve smoother waxing results as a moisturiser will create a barrier and making the skin a bit greasy which makes it hard to pull out hair and get clean results.
- For the super-sensitive areas, you can opt to numb that place using the ice as this will help reduce the pain to a great extent.
Pro-Tip From Ace Salon Professionals: Salon maestro says that, to get a clean and smoother waxing results you must start using bath brush to improve blood circulation which can result in lesser pain while waxing. You can also opt to exfoliate your skin twice a week using body scrubs as this will help uplift the ingrown so that you get smoother and flawless-looking skin post waxing. Also, avoid exfoliating just before your waxing process as this may also hamper the skin barrier to a great extent.
How To Wax At Home: Step-By-Step Process
- Prep up space where you're going to do waxing as the area needs to be clean and hygienic.
- Then get ready with the wax, wax heater, wax knife or butter knife or wooden spatula, wax strips and some talcum powder as you may not want to run in the middle of the process.
- You can opt to make a wax at home (using the above method) or opt the buy the suitable one from the market.
- Now once you've gathered all the requirements, you can plug in the wax heater and take an adequate amount of wax in it to get heated up.
- While the wax is getting heated, you can apply talcum powder to the target body part so that it absorbs all the moisture to give you smooth and clean waxing results.
- Now once the wax is heated, take some quantity on the wax knife and check the temperature as you wouldn't want to burn your skin.
- Now that you are comfortable with the temperature of the wax, you can spread it gently on the skin in the direction of hair growth.
- Then, place the wax strip over the applied wax and then rub it so that it sticks perfectly.
- You can opt to pull off the wax strip in the opposite direction of the hair growth swiftly in one go.
- Using your palm immediately press the freshly waxed skin to reduce the pain and redness.
- Follow the spread and pull process until you're done waxing all the body parts.
- Once you are done, wipe your body with a warm cloth and allow your skin to dry.
- To finish off you can opt to apply aloe vera gel or light weight moisturiser and give your skin a gentle massage.
Things To Keep In Mind While Waxing
- You must also be well-aware of your skin type and skin conditions and always consult your dermat before getting your skin waxed.
- If your skin has cuts, pimples, burns or wounds then professionals suggest you avoid those areas and wax carefully around them.
- Always ask for wax temperature checks as this will help you get your waxing done without any discomforts or skin irritations.
- Working in the right direction of your hair growth can ensure a smoother waxing experience. If the hair growth looks haphazard, then, in that case, work in shorter areas and in multiple directions to achieve smoother skin. If tiny hair bothers you then ask your professional to thread or tweeze-off the unwanted bush.
- You must avoid multiple applications in one particular area as this may either lead to redness, rashes and burns and in worst cases, you can also experience skin pull-outs.
- To combat the burnt skin, stop waxing that area immediately and rub the area with ice for instant relief.
Post-Waxing Skincare Tips
Waxing can agitate the skin and cause a lot of discomforts. We suggest you keep the below points in mind so that you don't ruin your skin and enjoy smoother waxing results.
- Wear loose clothes as this will keep ingrown at bay and will allow your freshly waxed skin to recover soon.
- Avoid sun exposure as your freshly waxed is vulnerable and can get easily damaged by sunburn and tan.
- Skip the gyming and other fitness exercises as the sweat may penetrate in the open pores and this can lead to bacterial infection.
- Avoid exfoliating, as your skin is already clean and exfoliating can lead to skin barrier damage.
Pro-Tip From Ace Salon Professionals: You should never bath or use any kind of chemical products other than body oils, moisturisers or aloe vera gel on your freshly waxed skin. This is because the pores of the skin are open and immediately washing or bathing may later lead to skin irritation and increase the chances of ingrown cysts.
Waxing: Pros And Cons
Pros Of Waxing
- It is a simple and convenient way for hair removal
- Waxing causes less ingrown hair
- Help reduce skin tanning
- Safer option when compared to depilatory creams
- Create lesser mess and is fuss-free
- Can lead to thinner and lesser hair growth
- Help provide you clean, tan-free and smooth skin
Cons Of Waxing
- Optimal hair length is required to achieve smoother results
- The process can be painful
- It can cause skin irritation to sensitive skin
- It can be expensive if you book a salon appointment for waxing
- It can cause ingrown cysts if not done properly
- It can burn the skin if the temperature is too high
Viveka is known to her friends as a movie junkie who is also a creative fashion enthusiast in red lipstick. She's passionate about writing! Be it fashion, beauty or movies she is pro. In her free time, she loves to play badminton, cook and binge watch movies. She's also a great observer who has a quirky take on various things, well only close ones know this. Nothing stops her from personifying the creative game.