English Grammar And Composition Books For High School: Get The Basics Clear
English grammar and composition are an essential part of learning the global language. In fact, not just English, but every other language in the world demands its grammar to be thoroughly understood if you want to excel in using it. While spoken English comes easy to many, it is the grammatical portion, where they may tumble. The correct usage of tenses, verbs, modals, and punctuations might be a brain twister for some. Don't worry; we have got you covered with these books that'll clear all your doubts. Get ready to master the language of the royalty!
Best Grammar And Composition Books For Clearing The Basics
1. Wren & Martin High School English Grammar and Composition Book
One of the most widely read books on the subject, this book is a compilation of grammatical and composition rules along with plenty of exercises. The book has been divided into four sections- Analysis, Transformation and Synthesis; Correct Usage; Structures; and Written Composition. It comes with a lot of writing space for practice.
High School English Grammar and Composition Book (Regular Edition)
2. Oxford Modern English Grammar
Written by leading experts in the field, it is one of the finest books on the subject. It covers sections from both British as well as American English. The book touches on a wide range of topics- from easier to complex ones. It is broadly divided into four parts- The Basics, Form and Function, Phrases and Clause Patterns, and Grammar and Meaning.
Oxford Modern English Grammar
3. English Grammar In Use
A publication of Cambridge University Press, this book has been authored by Raymond Murphy, a notable name in the field. The book has been crafted keeping in mind the students who share a mother tongue, other than English. Easy language has been used throughout to explain all the topics, which are accompanied by plenty of exercises. It can also be used as supplementary reading in the classroom.
English Grammar in Use Book with Answers: A Self-Study Reference and Practice Book for Intermediate Learners of English
4. English Grammar And Usage: Read Swiftly, Speak Fluently and Write Correctly
This book is a brainchild of Prof. Prasoon from Bihar University, based on his practical research on the topic for almost 18 years. The book mainly focuses on correct sentence formation and covers topics including subject-verb agreement, degrees of comparison, tenses, sentence transformations, punctuations, proverbs, and idioms.
English Grammar And Usage: Read Swiftly, Speak Fluently and Write Correctly
Tips For Learning and Improving Your Grammar
- Read more: For mastering the language you must make reading it a daily ritual. You can read newspapers, blogs, or magazines. The more you read, the more you learn.
- Grammar book: Keep a grammar book at your disposal. This way you can refer to the rules at any time and check your mistakes.
- Back to basics: Even if you know a topic, revisit it. Some of the rules might have possibly slipped your mind.
- Practice: As the saying goes, practice makes a man perfect. Exercise grammatical problems daily for getting a hang of all the rules.
- Listen: Be a good listener to everyone around you, especially your teachers or someone who knows the language by heart. It automatically feeds your subconscious mind with the rules.
- Films/theatre: Who says learning has to be boring? Watch films and/or attend theatres in English from your favourite genre, and don't forget to keep the subtitles on. You can even watch the shows in your native language with English subtitles to catch up on minute details.
- Communicate: Try to communicate with those around you in English. It'll also build up your confidence.
- Write: Write any piece, be it small or big, in English daily. One simple way to practice writing is posting your Instagram, Facebook or Twitter status in English, leaving English comments, replies instead of in your mother tongue.
English Grammar And Composition Books For High School
|Product||Price in India|
|High School English Grammar and Composition Book (Regular Edition)||₹ 336|
|Oxford Modern English Grammar||₹ 909|
|English Grammar in Use Book with Answers: A Self-Study Reference and Practice Book for Intermediate Learners of English||₹ 499|
|English Grammar And Usage: Read Swiftly, Speak Fluently and Write Correctly||₹ 162|
A multi-media journalist and writer, Vaibhavi views the world as one big piece of poetry. Time and again she tries to capture this poetry through words, as well as, the lens. She loves to explore the depth of human psyche, philosophy, cultures, and oceans! Carrying forward this quest for exploration she reports on various beats ranging from tourism, culture, art, social issues, business, market trends, science and environment to technology. For her, the life mantra can be summarised with the catchphrases, “Hakuna Matata” and “Carpe Diem”.