Diwali is a 5 day festival, and the Diwali celebrations begin with Dhanteras where "Dhan" stands for wealth and "Teras" stands for 13th day/tithi according to the Hindu calendar. We worship Goddess Lakshmi and Lord Ganesha awaiting a new abode. People find it auspicious to buy metals like Gold, silver, copper, brass and bronze on this day.
But do anyone of us know, that why we buy metals on Dhanteras? Well, the logic behind this is auspicious metals help keeping negative energy at a bay. This belief of buying metal mainly originated from a legend according to which the God of Death, Yama, was enticed by the sight of gold.
Story behind Dhanteras Celebration: King Hima's 16-year-old son's death was predicted to happen through a snake bite on the 4th day of his marriage. His new bride when came to know about it, she placed a heap of ornaments on the room entrance. She kept her husband awake throughout the night by narrating stories and singing. When Lord Yama (God of Death) visited King Hima's son he was astonished on dazzling metal and got blinded. Instead of offering death, he instead sat on the pile of ornaments and kept listening to the new brideâs tales. This way Lord Yama missed the death time and slinked away in peace. The life of prince got saved and so the day the day is celebrated as âDhanterasâ.
Prep up your Diwali celebrations and start your Dhanteras shopping with a bang. To welcome lady luck start buying some auspicious metal and light tons of diyas and say goodbye to all the evil spirits.
10 Things You Must NOT Buy on Dhanteras:Above weâve mentioned all the Doâs and now you must also checkout some of the Dhanteras Donâts. Many of us are unaware about the fact that all types of metal are not considered to be auspicious when brought on Dhanteras. Well, this is not right. Here we present you a quick list which you must strike off from your Dhanteras shopping list right away.
1. Iron: Irons products or utensils should not be bought on Dhanteras as it not considered being auspicious. You can an iron utensil a day before; if youâre very particular but definitely not on Dhanteras, why take risk of any bad luck.
2. Steel: Steel is another form of iron, which many of us are not aware about, and so its advised not to buy steel on the day of Dhanteras. Instead, you can buy copper or bronze utensils to bring good luck.
3. Empty Pitchers/Utensils: Anything empty is considered to bring bad luck on Dhanteras. You must always fill your utensils with water whenever taking it inside house on the day of Dhanteras, after all no shopkeeper is going to sell utensils filled with food.
4. Sharp Objects: Objects like knifes, scissors, nail cutters or any sharp objects must be avoided when heading for a Dhanteras shopping. These objects act as the barriers in your good lucks.
5. Cars: Strange but true, do not make any type of payment on the day of Dhanteras. Instead pay a day before so that you can bring home your desired car and do puja of the same as many find it auspicious.
6. Oil/Ghee: Oil and Ghee should be stocked instead of buying on the day on Dhanteras. Its better not to fetch any oil or ghee as it would become quite a hassle to do things without oil or ghee.
7. Anything Black: Black colour is tossed to bring bad luck, so anything that is black is colour should be avoided to buy on this day.
8. Gifts: Dhanteras and the Day of Diwali is a day which is believed to be auspicious as on these days Goddess Lakshmi shower her blessings. So sending/buying out gifts on this day must be avoided to gain the Kripa of Goddess Lakshmi.
9. Glass Products/Crokery: Glass is considered to be associated with âRahuâ so none among us would wanto invite Rahu at our peaceful residence. Give glass product a miss on this day.
10. Fake Gold: Gold, tops the list of Dhanteras shopping list, but for the sake of yellow metal you must not compromise on its purity as you would not want anything auspicious to happen as a joke. So avoid buying fake jewellery on this day.
We are not favouring old-aged superstitions, but good luck has some ifâs and butâs which should be considered when buying something on Dhanteras.
- Home Decor Accents OffersRs899Rs2,400(63% OFF)