When it comes to traveling in India, the Indian Railways is the most sorted options one can think of. Indian Railways is known to be the lifeline of the nation with a majority of passengers using it as a daily mode for commuting. However if you are not an avid user of Indian Railways you may find it a bit difficult to cope up with the rules and regulations of the Indian Railways. Indian Railways has a number of rules and processes for how to cancel train ticket and also for getting the refund. In this story we will be briefing our readers about train ticket cancellation process, how to cancel train ticket booked at counter and also about the IRCTC ticket cancellation refund time. The rules and the procedure as to how to cancel counter ticket may vary for online and offline method though the IRCTC train ticket cancellation refund time and rules remain the same in both the cases. We have detailed the train ticket cancellation process for you below, meanwhile you can also get to know about How To Book Train Tickets Online.
Train Ticket Cancellation Step by Step Process
If you are wondering as to how to cancel train ticket booked online, let us tell you that the tickets booked online can be cancelled only through online process. Here is a details step by step guide for how to cancel train ticket booked online:
- Step 1) Log in to your IRCTC account using your User ID, Password and Captcha
- Step 2) Click on âCancel Ticketâ
- Step 3) Now enter the required details like PNR number, Transaction ID, From and To station and the Date of Journey or you can simply choose the ticket you wish to cancel from your Booked Ticket History
- Step 4) If you want to cancel the ticket partially simply choose the passenger name you wish to cancel the ticket for
- Step 5) Click on âCancelâ, this is all about how to cancel train ticket booked online.
Cancel Train Ticket Booked at Counter
If you are looking out for ways as to how to cancel counter ticket booked at counter, we have some good news for you; now you can easily cancel counter ticket booked at counter online as well as offline. Here is how to cancel train ticket booked at counter.
Cancel Train Ticket Booked at Counter (Online)
- Step 1) Note down the 10 digit PNR number and Train number as mentioned on the top left corner of the counter ticket.
- Step 2) Go to the official website of IRCTC and click on âCounter Ticket Cancellationâ widget.
- Step 3) Enter the âPNR Numberâ, âTrain Numberâ and the âCaptchaâ provided. Then tick on the âTerms and Conditionâ box signifying your acceptance to the terms of cancellation and submit the details.
- Step 4) An âOTPâ will be generated and sent to the number used at the time of booking the ticket. Enter this OTP and submit for verification of the details.
- Step 5) After proper verification, full details of PNR will appear and the âCancellationâ option will pop up. On clicking on the âFull Cancellationâ the refund amount will be shown on your screen.
- Step 6) After cancellation the PNR will be marked as âCancelled but Not Refundedâ. Soon after this an SMS will be sent to your mobile number stating âYour PNR xxxxxxxxxx has been cancelled. Collect refund amt xxxxx from journey commencing station or nearby satellite PRS locations.
- Step 7) The user can now collect the refunded amount from any nearby satellite PRS location. The user will have to produce the original ticket on the counter in order to receive the refunded amount.
Cancel Train Ticket Booked at Counter (Offline)
- Step 1) Take the ticket to any of the nearest Railway station or extension counter.
- Step 2) Fill in the cancellation form available at the counter.
- Step 3) Present the filled in cancellation form along with the ticket to the authority at the counter.
- Step 4) The authority will then cancel the ticket from their respective system and return you the refund amount and the cancelled ticket.
Once you have got to know how to cancel train ticket, you might now be wondering about the cancellation rules and the refund amount that you will be getting on cancellation of your ticket. So we will now look at how to cancel counter tickets in details as well.
Train Ticket Cancellation Rules, Policy and Procedure
- Confirmed train tickets can be cancelled only up to 4 hours prior to the scheduled departure of the train.
- RAC or waitlist train tickets can be cancelled only up to 30 minutes prior to the scheduled departure of the train.
Train Ticket Cancellation Charges
|Train Cancellation Time||Train Ticket Cancel Charges by IRCTC|
|Upto 48Hours Before the Scheduled Departure||â¢ Rs.240 for AC First Class and Executive Class â¢ Rs.200 for AC 2 Tier â¢ Rs.180 for AC 3 Tier/AC Chair Car â¢ Rs.120 for Sleeper Class â¢ Rs.60 for Second Class|
|Cancellation Within 48 Hours and Upto 12 Hours Before the Scheduled Departure||â¢ 25% of the ticket fare will be deducted subject to minimum flat rate mentioned above|
|Cancellation between 12 hours and up to 4 hours before the scheduled departure||â¢ 50% of the ticket fare will be deducted subject to the minimum flat rate mentioned above|
Any confirmed ticket cancelled after this period shall not stand liable for any sort of refund from the IRCTC authorities. However the customers of IRCTC have an option to file a TDR if train is running late by more than 3 hours or the user has some exceptional claims to make. The holder of the waiting ticket will be given full refund if the ticket is cancelled half an hour prior to the departure of the train. Rules to book and cancel tatkal tickets may vary from the general rules.
- Additional offers
Use this coupon code TZERO to avail this discount on Paytm.
- Additional offers
Use this coupon code TRAINFREE to avail this discount on Paytm.