How To Detox Skin: Skincare Guide To Reboot Your Skin
Skin detox is a real thing and can be done to improve the overall health of the skin. But, how do you know when to go for a skin detox session? There are days when your skin feels dull and lifeless and none of the luxurious skincare products seem to be working on your skin. This is when you need to devote some time to your skin and perform the skin detoxification process.
Hectic lifestyles and unhealthy eating habits can affect the skin badly. There could be days when you might want to munch all types of junk food, not want to perform a skincare routine, sleep with makeup on or skip applying sunscreen; the result of which could be a damaged skin barrier. Detoxification of skin can help your skin flush off all the toxins leaving you with healthy and radiant skin. Scroll down to find more about:
- What is Skin Detox
- What Causes Skin Toxification
- How To Identify That You Need To Perform Skin Detoxification
- Benefits Of Skin Detox
- How to Detox Your Skin At Home: Step-By-Step Process
1. What is Skin Detox
Skin is the largest organ in your body and plays a vital role in regulating the body temperature. It also protects the body against various infections, prevents excessive water loss, regulates sensation and more. It wouldn't be wrong to call skin as a mirror, which is reflective of your overall health. Pollution, dirt, makeup, hormonal disorders, lack of water intake and an unhealthy lifestyle can contribute to the accumulation of toxic substances inside your body and skin. This accumulation can reflect in the form of dullness, redness, inflammation, blemishes and infections. To curb all this, one needs to invest some time to follow a healthy diet and skincare routine, also known as 'skin detox'.
A skin detox can help eliminate impurities, pollutants, dead cells, and toxins to help restore pH levels. Skin detox can also help flush out toxins and reverse all the ill effects of a bad lifestyle to give you brighter, younger and healthier skin.
A dash of patience, lots of discipline, a religious skincare regime and a well-balanced, healthy diet are key to clear and healthy skin.
2. What Causes Skin Toxification
- Increased stress levels can make your skin appear dull.
- An unhealthy skincare regime can delay cell restoration and turnover process.
- Too much exposure to sun, pollution and grime can lead to blemishes and pigmentation.
- Dead skin cell accumulation can increase the occurrence of acne.
- Non-clarified hair follicles can accumulate oil resulting in zits and breakouts.
- Too much sugar can damage collagen production and fasten skin ageing.
- Inadequate sleep hampers the skin repairing process.
- Lack of hydration can make your skin appear dull and lifeless.
3. How To Identify That You Need To Perform Skin Detoxification
We all strive for clear and healthy skin and for that we use the best facial toners, serums, moisturisers and oils. When you observe that your skincare products are not showing favourable results, that's when your skin needs to undergo the detoxification process.
Damaged skin barrier reduces the absorption ability for the skincare products and this might also result in some skin reactions. In such a scenario, it's not the product that is the culprit here but your skin.
We've listed some signs that indicate the accumulation of toxins in your skin:
- Patchy skin
- Uneven texture
- Complexion dullness
- Excessive sebum production
- Increased sensitivity
- Excessive dryness
- Wrinkled and sagging skin
4. Benefits Of Skin Detox
- Skin detoxification helps pull out all the toxins from the surface of the skin.
- It helps in rejuvenating your skin and restoring the natural texture.
- It helps in leaving your skin to appear fresh and revitalised.
- It helps eradicate all the dead skin cells.
- It helps to promote the cell regeneration process.
- It helps reduce blemishes, remove blackheads, regulate irritation, and shrink open pores.
- It curbs the sagging and helps to give your tight and firm skin.
- It enhances the overall health of the skin and makes it appear brighter and clean.
- Post skin detox your skin feels hydrated and gorgeous.
5. How to Detox Your Skin At Home: Step-By-Step Process
Step 1 Of Skin Detox: Double-Cleanse
Just like a fresh canvas lets you be creative and better absorbs the colours, a clear skin better absorbs the skincare products. You thus need to ensure that your skin is thoroughly clean, and for this you need to invest in cleansing oils, cleansing balms or a good face cleanser that works best for your skin type. This will help clear out all sorts of impurities and give you refreshed skin. Double-cleansing is a vital step if you are striving for a clear complexion.
Step 2 Of Skin Detox: Exfoliate
To eradicate dead skin cells, you need to invest in mild exfoliators like Konjac sponges. These will help buff away dead skin cells and give you smoother skin. We suggest you avoid grainy exfoliators as well as chemical exfoliators.
Step 3 Of Skin Detox: Steam Your Face
Steaming your skin for about 5-10 minutes can extract maximum grime from your skin. Facial steaming is also essential as it helps prep your skin to absorb ingredients nicely and reaches much deeper to give skin a quick restoration. So, take out your facial steamers and get going.
Step 4 Of Skin Detox: Masking Is MUST
Clay masks and hydrating facial masks are considered to be the best option. You can opt for a face mask as per your skin type and requirement. This will help deeply nourish and hydrate the skin from within to give you tighter skin.
Step 5 Of Skin Detox: Toner
Toning is an essential skincare step as it helps to balance the pH level and eliminate surplus oil or residues. It also helps facial pores to shrink that further helps in better absorption of skincare products. Opt for the best toner that suits your skin type.
Step 6 Of Skin Detox: Serums To Treat
We suggest you start with hydrating serums or mild vitamin C serums that will help boost the cell regeneration process which will further help in improved collagen production and skin elasticity. It helps to deeply penetrate the skin and fasten the restoration process to give you radiant and glowing skin.
Step 7 Of Skin Detox: Hydration is Key
Just like your body, your skin also strives for hydration and you can satiate this thirst by applying the best moisturising gels or creams. These help lock-in the moisturise and maintain optimum hydration of the skin. These also seal-in all the skincare products and help combat sensitivity, dullness or dryness.
Step 8 Of Skin Detox: Top it Up With Sunscreen
Sunscreen should be the most essential part of the skin detox process. Infact, any skincare process is incomplete without an SPF, as it not only helps protect the skin from sun damage but also shields the skin from other environmental factors.
Step 9 Of Skin Detox: Drink Lots of Water
Water should be the only thing that must be sipping throughout the day. It helps flush out toxins from your body and helps you stay hydrated all day. You should regulate the intake of dehydrating liquids like alcohol, coffee and sugary juices.
Step 10 Of Skin Detox: Detox Through Diet
You need to understand that ultimate rejuvenation of skin can only be achieved from inside and for this you need to follow a healthy lifestyle. An adequate amount of sleep along with a rich and healthy diet can help you with skin cell rejuvenation. Take a look below at the diet essentials that can help detox your body.
- Cut down the intake of refined sugar
- Opt for a protein-rich diet and the best is organic dairy products and grain-fed poultry.
- Pick healthier fats like salmon, olive oil, avocados, walnut, and nuts.
- Increase the intake of alkaline-rich fruits and vegetables like pears, broccoli, apples, spinach, watermelon and bananas.
Viveka is known to her friends as a movie junkie who is also a creative fashion enthusiast in red lipstick. She's passionate about writing! Be it fashion, beauty or movies she is pro. In her free time, she loves to play badminton, cook and binge watch movies. She's also a great observer who has a quirky take on various things, well only close ones know this. Nothing stops her from personifying the creative game.