10 Best Indoor Plants For Your Desk
Indoor plants bring a refreshing slice of nature to the work desk. These potted greens not only add to the aesthetic appeal of the place but are also visually meditative. In the modern work culture of clicks and scrolls, it wouldn't be wrong to label them as small reminders of the long lost relationship between man and the wild.
Many scientific studies have time and again proven that indoor plants significantly boost creativity, concentration and productivity levels. On top of that, they are known to reduce fatigue and alleviate stress, which is one of the major driving forces of health problems in the contemporary fast-paced work culture.
This is precisely why many offices, libraries and even hostel dorms are treading towards this green path and are sprucing up with indoor potted plants.
Another science-approved reason for introducing your work desks to the greens is that many indoor plants are have been proved to improve the air quality drastically. They not only help in eliminating the pollutants but also the harmful volatile organic compounds r(VOCs) eleased from upholstery, furnishings, carpets, cleaning products, building materials, electronic gadgets, etc.
Find below some of such indoor plants that'll sit beautifully on your desk and help you finish the deadlines on time! Their minimal maintenance requirement adds another silver lining to the green cloud.
Best Indoor Plants For Desks
- Money Plant
- Chinese evergreen
- Jade Plant
- Snake Plant
- Lucky Bamboo Plant
- Boston Fern
- Echeveria Black Prince Succulent
- Peace Lily
- ZZ Plant
1. Money PlantMoney plant or the Devil's ivy is one of the most popular indoor plants across geographies and cultures. As the name suggests, it is perceived as a good luck charm in many cultures and is believed to attract prosperity and wealth. It can be easily potted in soil or even in water and can survive well in shade. This plant is a natural anti-radiator and eliminates harmful radiations from gadgets of everyday use such as smartphones and laptops. It also purifies the air and goes by the name of Epipremnum aureum in the scientific fraternity.
2. PhilodendronPhilodendrons are a complete green package which not only adds to the aesthetic appeal but are also enough to draw a smile on your face! These have been scientifically proven as mood uplifters with an impressive ability to reduce stress levels and induce calm. Furthermore, they improve the quality of the air and remove many harmful airborne pollutants. When housing these green wonders, make sure that the top layer of their soil is always moist. However, prevent excessive watering as it can lead to rotting. You can try alternating watering with misting techniques.
3. Chinese evergreenChinese evergreen is a flowering plant native to Southern Asia and Guinea. This gorgeous leathery-foliated plant requires warmth for growth and can thrive well with minimal care. It is advised to place it in indirect sunlight and moist soil. Thanks to the larger surface area of its leaves, it releases high levels of oxygen. Although it is also a natural air purifier, it can be very toxic to domesticated pets such as cats and dogs. It goes by the scientific name Aglaonema and is believed to attract prosperity and wellbeing.
4. Jade PlantJade plant or Crassula ovata is a flowering succulent native to KwaZulu-Natal and Eastern Cape provinces of South Africa, and Mozambique. It is often thickly branched and comes with fleshy ovular leaves. It stands apart with its de-humidifying properties, because of which it prevents certain microbes to thrive. It is also known to purify the air and is identified as a symbol of good luck and prosperity. It adapts well to low lighting conditions and needs to be watered only once a week or whenever the top layer of the soil dries up.
5. Snake PlantDracaena trifasciata or Snake plant is one of the few indoor greens that ticks off almost all the criteria of an ideal indoor plant. While most of the plants are known to release carbon dioxide during night, it releases fresh oxygen, making it ideal for indoor setups. It also absorbs harmful airborne pollutants and chemicals and has rightly been labelled as one of the best air purifying plants by NASA. Furthermore, it is perceived as a sign of good luck and positive energy. Described by the experts as virtually indestructible, this stress-releasing plant can survive in almost all environments without much care.
6. Lucky Bamboo PlantThis mini doppelganger of bamboo, popular across the globe, is actually a variant of tropical water lily called Dracaena sanderiana. It is revered in many a culture and is often planted for good luck, positivity, and prosperity, As per Feng Shui, the significance of this plant depends on the number of stalks present. For instance, two stalks represent love, three wealth, ten perfection, and so on. Interestingly, the stalks of this wondrous plant can be manipulated into several shapes by controlling the amount of sunlight falling on them. It enjoys filtered indirect sunlight and can be grown in water and soil as well. If planted in water, it should be replaced every week; and if in soil, make sure to keep the soil damp at all times.
7. Boston FernBoston fern, commonly known by the name sword fern, is another popular indoor plant celebrated for its cleansing properties, as well as, aesthetic appeal. This plant comes with feather-like foliage dipped in the shades of kelly green. These are natural humidifiers and can help to restore moisture in the air, besides purifying it. This plant is also a treasure trove of multiple health benefits and is used in many natural remedies. It performs best under sunny conditions and should be water frequently.
8. Echeveria Black Prince SucculentEcheveria Black Prince Succulent is a gorgeous plant with a rosette of triangular, fleshy, purple leaves. This crowned foliage eventually turns darker and widen at the base over time. It gives off beautiful bell-shaped flowers dupped in hues of scarlet red towards the end of fall. Although it can tolerate partial to complete sunlight for nearly six hours, it is advised to shift them to shade as the sunshine turns toasty. Adding to its already long list of merits, it is also capable of maintaining an optimum humidity level.
9. Peace LilyPeace lily is one of the most beautiful indoor plants that also comes with a plethora of benefits. This monocotyledon hails from the tropical regions and blooms around spring. This aesthetic plant removes the airborne pollutants, as well as, VOCs faster than other air purifying varieties. Furthermore, it prevents mildew formation and removes mould spores. This low maintenance plant grows well in bright indirect sunlight and needs moist soil with proper drainage.
10. ZZ PlantIf you are someone with zero knowledge about plant maintenance, Zamioculcas zamiifolia aka ZZ plant is perfect for you. This flowering plant from Africa can thrive even in weeks of neglect. While it grows best in bright, indirect light, it can easily fare through extremely low light levels that would challenge other plants. As verified by NASA's studies, it can easily remove copious amounts of toxins from the air and is an excellent air purifier. It comes with smooth, waxy leaves which reflect the sunlight creating a beautiful pattern.
Also Read: Maintenance Tips For Indoor Plants
Also Read: Best Indoor Plants
10 Best Indoor Plants For Your Desk
|Product||Price in India|
|luminescence Baby Elephant Shaped Ceramic Indoor Flower Pot Planter Indoor Outdoor Planter Handicraft Plant Container Set (Ceramic) White Colour Size 5 INCH Pack of 1||₹ 259|
|Ugaoo Philodendron Broken Heart Indoor Plant with Self Watering Pot - Monstera Adansonii||₹ 399|
|Rolling Nature Air Purifying Red Aglaonema Siam Aurora Chinese Evergreen Plant In White Cube Aroez Ceramic Pot||₹ 799|
|Ugaoo Good Luck Jade Plant with Self Watering Pot||₹ 279|
|Cappl Sanseveria | Snake Plant (Pot Included) Air Purifier With 5 Gram Fertilizer Free||₹ 369|
|Abana Homes® Lucky Bamboo Plant with Pot - 2 Layer | Gift A Plant & Good Luck - Best for Office & Home Indoor Garden (2 Layer with Pot)||₹ 300|
|Ugaoo Golden Fern Plant with Self Watering Pot||₹ 395|
|HILLMART Live Black Prince Succulent with White 6.5 cm Pot||₹ 355|
|Ugaoo Peace Lily Plant with Self Watering Pot - Spathiphyllum Plant||₹ 345|
|CAPPL Zamia ZZ Indoor Air Purifying Plant with Plastic Pot (Zamioculcas Zamiifolia) with Fertilizer Free||₹ 359|
A multi-media journalist and writer, Vaibhavi views the world as one big piece of poetry. Time and again she tries to capture this poetry through words, as well as, the lens. She loves to explore the depth of human psyche, philosophy, cultures, and oceans! Carrying forward this quest for exploration she reports on various beats ranging from tourism, culture, art, social issues, business, market trends, science and environment to technology. For her, the life mantra can be summarised with the catchphrases, “Hakuna Matata” and “Carpe Diem”.