Hair is that essential part of the body which is most exposed to heat and rough weather conditions, dust, dirt and pollution. Lack of proper attention and care of hair might lead to damaged and frizzy hair. When we look for suggestions as to how to get rid of split ends we start getting a lot of suggestion from people around. While the aged and traditional people will ask you to go for natural therapy like oiling your hair and things like that. The modern saloon mates may inspire you to opt for more modern methods like going for a hair spa or something like that.
Trichoptilosis which is also commonly known as split ends are a sign of hair damage. It is the splitting of hair shafts as a consequence of excessive heat and unnatural mechanical stress put on the hair.Curling irons, and other heating process applied on hair can lead to split ends. Excessive use of chemicals like hair colours and hair sprays might also be a leading cause of split ends. Split ends could be prevented with regular trimming and use of natural remedies in place of chemicals.
Due to excessive application of chemicals and heating agents the outer protective layer on the hair might strip off. Once the internal hair is exposed it is weakened and becomes dehydrated and frizzy, this again leads to split ends in the hair.
What Causes Split Ends
Hair is that special part of a women’s body which she adorns the most. But at the same time they are also the ones that are highly exposed to all rough conditions. Split ends reduce the beauty of your hair. Here is a list of all the major causes of split ends.
- Split ends are caused when hair are constantly exposed to sun, pollution, dirt and dust
- Over use of hair styling tools like curlers, straighteners, and other chemical cosmetic products might lead to split ends
- Hair colouring is also a leading factor of split ends and hair damage
- Frequent washing of hair with hot water might also lead to split ends
- Lack of oiling and hair massage might also be a major split ends causing factor
- Use of strong, chemical shampoos and serums might also lead to split ends
- Using chlorine water or hard water might also add on to the factors causing split ends
- Use of wrong combs and brushes and avoiding hair trimming might also lead to hair damage and split ends
- Forceful combing of tangled hair might also lead to hair loss and split ends
Symptoms of Split Ends
Most of us do not know that, there is multiple types of hair split ends and each type of split end has a different symptom and remedy. The longitudinal splits in hair fiber are known to be the most common form of split ends. Here are some most common symptoms of split ends:
- Unknotting of split ended hair leads to even more tangling
- Discolouring of the ends of hair of pony tail is another major split end symptom
- ‘Y’ shaped hair at the end are one of the most common sight of split ends
- The lower end of the hair starts looking thinner than the rest portion of the hair
- Due to irregular and uneven trimming of hair, the hair becomes of uneven length
- And if you fail to notice any of the above symptoms visit a hair expert and ask for their recommendation
Simple Tricks To Get Rid of Split Ends:
- Use of serums that will protect the hair from UV rays of sun is a good option to prevent hair damage.
- Another very simple way of prevent split ends is to use a scarf or cap whenever going out in sun. This is the simplest way as to how to get rid of split ends.
- Washing of hair in cold water also prevents split ends.
- Use of a thin satin pillow cover or a soft cottony pillow covets to avoid friction of hair while sleeping is another natural way to prevent split ends in hair.
- Using mild shampoos and conditioners containing natural and organic ingredients on a natural basis is also a good way to prevent split ends.
- Deep oiling and conditioning through home remedies is also a very smart way of preventing split ends.
- Use a towel to dry your hair instead of ironing and using blow dry.
- Trimming of hair is the best solution to prevent split ends.
- Using products for hair repair with caution and care is another way to prevent hair damage.
- Gentle massaging of hair while oiling and washing should be done.
- Gentle combing and back brushing should be done instead of treating hair with rough hands.
- Hair must be protected while going out for swimming, beaches and pool parties.
Remedies for Split Ends: Get Rid of Split Ends without Cutting
1. The Mayonnaise Mantra
- ½ cup of Mayonnaise
Step 1: wet your hair and towel-dry them
Step 2: Apply this mayonnaise on to your hair and leave for about 30 minutes.
Step 3: Rinse of the mayonnaise with cold water
Step 4: Wash the hair gently with mild shampoo
2. Aloe Vera Magic
- Aloe Vera Leaves/ Aloe Vera Gel
- Rose Water
Step 1: Extract the gel out of 2-3 aloe vera leaves in a mixing bowl (If aloe vera leaves are unavailable, aloe vera gel can also be used.)
Step 2: Add few drops of rose water and yoghurt to the gel
Step 3: Mix them together to get a sticky paste
Step 4: Apply this paste on to your hair scalp and hair and cover with a shower cap
Step 5: Leave the mixture on your hair for about half an hour
Step 6: Wash off the mixture and shampoo your hair using a mild shampoo
3. Vitamin E for Healthy Hair
- Castor Oil
- Mustard Oil
- Vitamin E Capsules
Step 1: Powder few vitamin E capsules
Step 2: Take equal proportion of mustard oil and castor oil in a bowl
Step 3: Add the vitamin E powder to the oil
Step 4: Apply this oil on your hair beginning from roots and gently going down towards mid shaft.
Step 5: Leave it overnight and then shampoo your hair next morning
Repeat the process twice a week.
4. The Chamomile Tea Treatment
- Chamomile tea leaves/ tea bags
- Chamomile Oil
Step 1: Massage your hair with chamomile oil and leave it overnight
Step 2: Boil some water in a pan and add the chamomile tea leaves or tea bags to the boiling water
Step 3: Strain the water in another container and let it cool for some time
Step 4: once cooled down use this water to rinse off your hair
Repeat this process twice a week
- Rs2,217Rs2,821(21% OFF)
5. Oiling Treatment
- Coconut Oil
- Mild Shampoo
Step 1: Shampoo your hair thoroughly and towel-dry them
Step 2: Take a little coconut oil and gently massage it on your hair starting from the roots towards the hair shaft
Step 3: Clip and braid your hair properly and cover it with a shower cap or towel for about 30 minutes.
Step 4: Get back to the shower, rinse the excessive oil from your hair and then shampoo your hair twice using a mild shampoo.
Step 5: To completely get rid of split ends, repeat this process once in every two weeks.
6. Egg Yolk Protein Mask
- Olive Oil
Step 1: Take the yolk of one egg, 1tsp of honey and 3tsp of olive oil in a bowl and whisk them together.
Step 2: Apply this mask on the hair using a dying brush, let it settle on your hair for about half an hour or so.
Step 3: Wash the mask with cold water
Step 4: Wash your hair now with a gentle shampoo, slowly massaging it into the hair roots.
7. Avocado and Olive Oil Hair Mask
- Olive Oil
Step 1: Crush the Avocado and add the yolk of one egg to it
Step 2: Add a bit of olive oil, keep adding the olive oil until the mixture gets thicker than the normal market conditioners.
Step 3: Apply this mask and leave for 20-30 minutes
Step 4: Rinse properly with warm water
8. Black lentils and Methi Treatment
- Black Lentils
- Methi (Fenugreek Seeds)
Step 1 Grind 1/2 cup of black lentils and tbsp of fenugreek seeds to a coarse rough powder
Step 2: Add1/2 cup of curd to the powder to make a thick paste
Step 3: Apply this thick paste on the hair, and leave for about 2 hrs
Step 4: Wash the hair with cold water and shampoo with a mild shampoo
Step 5: Towel dry your hair, for a shiny, smooth and frizz free hair.
9. The Awesome Papaya Pack
Step 1: Peel off a Papaya
Step 2: Crush the papaya and mix a cup of natural yoghurt
Step 3: Blend them together to make a thick and smooth paste
Step 4: Apply this paste to your hair and leave for about 30 minutes
Step 5: Rinse off gently with cold water
Step 6: Shampoo your hair and towel-dry them gently.
10. Beer Wash
- Beer shampoo or Beer
Step 1: Shampoo your hair using a mild beer shampoo or any other normal shampoo
Step 2: After washing off the shampoo, rinse your hair with a mug of beer
Beer is a brilliant and awesome conditioner for all hair types.
- Rs129Rs155(17% OFF)
11. Banana Mask
- Ripe Banana
- Rose Water
Step 1: Blend the ripe banana to a thick sticky paste
Step 2: Add some yoghurt and few drops of rose water
Step 3: Whisk this mixture together
Step 4: Apply this mixture to the scalp of hair and leave for about an hour
Step 5: Rinse off with cold water and shampoo gently.
12. Hot Oil Massage
- Coconut Oil/ Castor Oil/ Mustard Oil/ Olive Oil/Almond Oil
Step 1: Take any of this oil as per your preference in a bowl
Step 2: Keep the oil in the microwave foe 15 sec
Step 3: Make sure the oil is not too hot
Step 4: Massage this oil on your hair scalp and leave for an hour
Step 5: Wash the hair with a mild shampoo and towel dry them
Apart from these remedies relying upon a healthy diet for your hair is equally important. Adding a little bit of healthy fat to your regular diet might be a good solution as to how to get rid of split ends and get long shiny healthy hair. Healthy fat helps nourish and moisturize your hair. Dry fruits like cashew, nuts and almonds are a great source of healthy fat. Avocado, bananas are also some healthy fat source of diet.