How To Get Rid Of Dandruff: Home Remedies To The Rescue
We totally understand what it is like to live with dandruff. It can be one of the most horrifying scalp conditions. Dandruff is caused by a fungus or malassezia which feeds on sebum and the dead skin cells, which can also lead to various other hair-related problems like itchiness on the scalp, dryness, hair fall and many more. Although there is no way using which you can completely banish the cascading of white flakes but there are many home remedies to keep the condition under check. Scroll down to know some simple and easy home remedies for treating dandruff.
Home Remedies That Can Help Get Rid Of Dandruff
1. Fermented Rice Water
Fermented rice water gained popularity after witnessing the thick and voluminous hair of Yao women. It contains the goodness of inositol, which is a carbohydrate that aids to reverse the damage and give you healthy hair. Using it on your hair could prove beneficial as it can not only fight dandruff-causing fungi but also transform your hair into healthy and voluminous tresses.
How to Prepare and Use Fermented Rice Water For Dandruff
- Take a cup of rice and rinse it thoroughly to get rid of all dirt.
- Then place the rice in a blow, pour five-eight cups of water and then cover it with a lid and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
- Now rub the rice with your palm in a way that water turns slightly milky.
- Then strain the water into the pot and bring it to the boiling point. Now turn off the flame and let the water cool.
- Pour the rice water into a bottle or large container, tightly pack the lid and then place the bottle in a dark space at room temperature. Allow it to rest for about three days until fermentation begins and it starts smelling slightly sour.
- Once ready, start pouring the fermented rice water on the hair. Place a large bowl in front of you where you can completely drench your hair working from roots to tips in fermented rice water. Tie your hair into a bun a do not cover them. Let this water sit on your scalp for about 30 minutes. You can wash the hair with running water (preferably river water or distilled water) or filter water and rinse thoroughly. Do not shampoo as you are using water in place of shampoo and repeat this two-three times a week to achieve the best results.
- To suppress the sour smell you can add orange or lemon peel while you are boiling the water or you can also add three-four drops of tea tree oil or rosemary oil when the fermented rice water is ready.
2. Neem Water
Neem is known to have anti-fungal properties and so what can be more effective and budget-friendly than this. Neem water not only combats dandruff-causing fungi but also helps to deal with other scalp related problems like soothing an irritated scalp, reducing inflammation and relieving itchiness. It can also promote healthy hair growth, making the tresses healthy, voluminous and shiny.
How to Prepare and Use Neem Water For Dandruff
- Take fresh neem leaves and wash them to get rid of all the dirt and dust.
- Take around 1-1.5 litres of water and boil the neem leaves for about 5-10 minutes.
- When the water starts to change its colour, you can turn off the flame and let the water cool.
- Neem water can be used as the last rinse, which means once you're done with shampooing and conditioning you can take neem water and rinse your hair from roots to tips to gain maximum benefits.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
Apple cider vinegar has anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties that help to kill dandruff-causing germs like fungus and bacteria. It helps in combating flaky and itchy scalp by lowering levels of yeast on the scalp skin and reduce inflammation. The acidic nature can do wonders for itchy scalp but don't go overboard, else your tresses may smell pungent.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Dandruff
- Mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water.
- Keep the solution aside and complete your hair wash regime.
- Pour this apple cider vinegar solution as the last rinse allowing your hair to soak its benefits from roots to tips. Rinse with water as it won't leave behind any awful smell.
4. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is known to have powerful anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties which can prove beneficial to eradicate skin problems like acne and scalp-related problems like dandruff.
How to Use Tea Tree Oil For Dandruff
- Pour the required amount of shampoo in the container, then add some water to dilute it.
- Then add five-eight drops of tea tree oil into this solution and mix it thoroughly.
- You can use this solution to double rinse your hair as it will not just help reduce dandruff but will also combat greasiness and itchiness.
5. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera gel is known to have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that can not only help with skin related problems but also prove beneficial with scalp-related issues like dandruff, alopecia, hair fall, inflammation and dryness. It doesn't just help keep a check on fungal infections but also results in improved texture and overall health of hair.
How to Prepare And Use Aloe Vera Gel For Dandruff
- Fresh aloe vera leaves works the best, so cut a leaf and let the slime rinse completely as it might harm both skin and scalp.
- Then cut the sides of the leave and with the help of a spoon, scoop out the aloe vera gel.
- Grind the solid gel to make it into a paste.
- Apply this paste onto the scalp and strands and leave it for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Now wash your hair with the help of a mild shampoo.
6. Coconut Oil with Lemon
Coconut oil is known to have numerous skincare and hair care benefits. And on the other hand, lemon is known for its anti-fungal properties which can also help protect the scalp from free radical damage. Below, we bring you a solution that can be used to reduce the most annoying and common scalp problem, dandruff.
How to Prepare And Use Coconut Oil with Lemon For Dandruff
- Take two-three tablespoons of coconut oil in a bowl.
- Then squeeze a lemon and add an equal amount of juice to the bowl that already has coconut oil.
- Apply the mixture onto the scalp and give it a generous head massage.
- Leave the mixture for about 10-15 minutes maximum and not more as it might contribute to early greying of hair.
- Then use a mild shampoo to rinse the hair.
Some studies show that dandruff feeds upon sebum and oils shouldn't be used by those suffering from dandruff but as far as ingredients are used in moderation and washed properly, it will only do good and help reduce dandruff to a great extent.
7. Essential Oils
Adding a few drops of essentials oil like tea tree oil, peppermint oil, or spearmint oil to your hair care regime can do wonders as it can eradicate micro bacterial particles, cool down inflammation and provide freshness.
How to Use Essential Oils For Dandruff
You can opt to mix a few drops into the hair oil and give your scalp a gentle massage and leave it for 30 minutes. You can then wash the hair using a mild shampoo. Secondly, you can mix a few drops of essential oil with your shampoo and give your scalp a gentle massage. Later, rinse the hair with water.
8. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds are a rich source of protein and nicotinic which help to prevent dandruff and hair fall to a great extent. It also proves to be beneficial in treating various types of scalp issues like hair thinning, dryness, breakage and even baldness. Fenugreek not only strengthens the roots but also deeply moisturises to improve the damaged hair texture.
How to Use Fenugreek Seeds For Dandruff
- For medium hair length, soak five-six tablespoons fenugreek seeds in a bowl of water, cover with lid and leave it overnight.
- In the morning, rinse the water and then grind the swollen fenugreek seeds into a smooth paste.
- Then add a tablespoon lemon juice to this paste and mix.
- You can then apply this paste to your scalp, and the remaining paste can be applied to your hair. Leave the paste for 30 minutes.
- You can wash your hair using a mild shampoo with normal water.
9. Curd and Besan Paste
Both curd and besan (gram flour) are ancient traditional techniques that were used to wash hair to deeply cleanse and condition. Besan helps to pull out excess sebum on the scalp and curd helps maintain proper pH balance which helps in keeping dandruff at bay. This paste acts as an excellent exfoliator and conditioner and helps to maintain a healthy scalp that is free from impurities.
How To Prepare And Use Curd Besan Paste to Cure Dandruff
- Take two tablespoons of besan and mix with five-six tablespoons of fresh curd to form a smooth paste. The measurements can vary depending on the length of the hair as you can apply this paste on the strands too.
- Start applying the paste into the scalp and then proceed to the strands.
- Tie the hair up into a bun, secure it and keep it for 30 minutes.
- You can opt to dilute the mild shampoo and wash the hair with normal water.
10. Orange Peel Paste
Oranges are a great source of citric acid which helps to exfoliate and control sebum production. The fruit also has amazing anti-fungal properties which help to fight fungus and bacteria, and eradicate other impurities to give you a healthy scalp and skin. See below how you can prepare and use orange paste on your scalp to treat dandruff and enjoy healthy hair.
How To Prepare And Use Orange Peel Paste
- Soak freshly peeled orange juice overnight in some water.
- You can then make a smooth paste of the soaked peels.
- Apply the paste onto your scalp, give a generous massage and leave it for 20 minutes.
- You can wash the hair with a mild shampoo and see the healthy change in your hair.
- Orange peel juice can be used on the scalp to reduce dandruff and oily conditions. The peel can be mashed into a pulp and used as a hair pack. It helps to condition the hair and cleanse the scalp.
Some Other Things to Keep In Mind To Cure Dandruff
Getting rid of dandruff can be very difficult; however if you follow these simple steps on a day-to-day basis, you can prevent it from affecting you. Take a look:
- Use the right shampoo for your hair. Moreover, do not use this in excess. Opt for shampoos that have pyrithizone zinc to regulate dandruff as it is enriched with anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that prevent the occurrence of dandruff.
- Use your own comb to brush your hair, preferably a neem comb to keep fungus and other infectious bacteria at bay.
- Take enough rest as lack of sleep might raise stress levels resulting to cause dandruff.
- Practice a healthy lifestyle and hair care regime.
- Do not keep the oil for more than 30 minutes as keeping it overnight will worsen the condition.
Best Mild Shampoos You Might Want To Consider
Here we've shortlisted some best mild shampoos that you would want to shop to change your hair game.
The Body Shop Ginger Anti-Dandruff Shampoo₹ 695
Head & Shoulders Smooth and Silky Anti Dandruff Shampoo, 650ml₹ 360₹ 450 (20% off)
Biotique Bio Neem Anti Dandruff Shampoo & Conditioner, 400 ml₹ 299
Himalaya Anti Dandruff Shampoo, 700ml₹ 352₹ 425 (17% off)
Frequently Asked Questions About Reducing Dandruff
Can we get rid of dandruff permanently?
No, it can't be cured, but it can be controlled. Dandruff is a scalp condition that mostly occurs due to fungus or malassezia and these feed on natural sebum which means your scalp can't get rid of the natural oils but the oil production can be kept under control. Patience and consistency is the key to achieve desired results or keep the condition under check. We urge you to follow a healthy diet, lifestyle that will help you control the condition from both internally and as well as externally.
Can dandruff cause hair fall?
Dandruff can lead to inflammation and itchy scalps which you might scratch every now and then. This can injure and damage your hair follicles as result you can face hair loss. To keep hair fall at bay make sure you're following a good hair care regime so that your dandruff remains under control.
Should I wash my hair everyday if I have dandruff?
Washing hair with regular shampoo will strip off the natural oils and you might end up with the damaged scalp and tresses altogether. You can invest in a good mild shampoo and give some extra time to properly rinse your hair during your head wash. Consider indulging in some best home remedies for dandruff once or twice a week to keep the condition under check.
Can dandruff cause pimples?
Try to keep the hair off the face as when your hair with dandruff is in contact with the facial skin, it can lead to pimples.
How To Get Rid Of Dandruff: Home Remedies To The Rescue
|Product||Price in India|
|Head & Shoulders Smooth and Silky Anti Dandruff Shampoo, 650ml||₹ 360|
|Biotique Bio Neem Anti Dandruff Shampoo & Conditioner, 400 ml||₹ 299|
|Himalaya Soothes Scalp Anti Dandruff Shampoo||₹ 352|
|The Body Shop Ginger Anti-Dandruff Shampoo||₹ 695|
Viveka is known to her friends as a movie junkie who is also a creative fashion enthusiast in red lipstick. She's passionate about writing! Be it fashion, beauty or movies she is pro. In her free time, she loves to play badminton, cook and binge watch movies. She's also a great observer who has a quirky take on various things, well only close ones know this. Nothing stops her from personifying the creative game.